Monday, January 18, 2010

Best. Pancakes. Ever.




I think it's pretty clear that I'm a breakfast fanatic. These are the best. BEST. pancakes I have ever had. I've been on a kick lately of putting sour cream into quickbreads of all kinds, after a really successful experiment involving waffles a few weeks ago. I somehow always seem to be out of sour cream now. Small price to pay for fluffy delicious breakfasts, if you ask me. The quesadillas can live without it, right? Err... not really.

Often with thick pancake batter, you end up with really nice pancakes with a bit of uncooked batter in the middle. It's always so disappointing, and I hate serving pancakes to friends only to find halfway through brunch that they've found themselves a glob of uncooked batter on their plates. That doesn't happen with these. That's only part of why I'm so in love with them, though. You'll understand when you try them.

For the record, since the first time I made this recipe, 2 weeks ago, I've made them 5 times. Damn! I also discovered that pancakes are really really awesome with Nutella and sausage and apples. Not that I'm surprised.

Amanda's Favorite Pancakes
serves 2-3 people, makes roughly six 8" pancakes.

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp melted butter

In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, sour cream, and melted butter. Stir gently into the dry ingredients, leaving the batter a little lumpy. Add more milk if needed to make the batter pourable.
Use a 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup measuring cup to pour batter onto a hot, lightly buttered griddle.
You know how to make pancakes, do I really have to explain? Nope. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment